I have been sued, but I don't have insurance. What do I do? I have been sued, but the insurance company will not defend me. What do I do?

You have several options:

  1. You can hire your own lawyer. This is a good option if you believe you have a valid defence.
  2. You can do nothing and let yourself be noted in default (don’t defend). If you are noted in default, MVAC will become involved, and will settle or, where appropriate, defend the matter.
  3. You can ask MVAC to handle the matter as soon as you know you are being sued, by sending them a copy of the Statement of Claim together with a letter explaining what happened in the accident. Be sure to include your name, address and telephone number so that MVAC can reach you, and any details about the accident you think may help with the defense.
  4. You can try to defend yourself and negotiate a private settlement.

If the plaintiff requests to be paid from MVAC rather than the uninsured defendant, the MVAC Administrator must approve any settlement (consent judgment) before it is concluded, even if the defendant has a lawyer.