Payments outside Alberta

Payments outside Alberta

The Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) can facilitate support payments if either the payor or recipient lives outside Alberta.

MEP is authorized by the Interjurisdictional Support Orders (ISO) Act  to monitor and enforce a court order when the payor or recipient of support lives outside Alberta. This is made possible by our reciprocal registration agreements with other jurisdictions.

‘Reciprocal registration’ happens when a court order from one jurisdiction (eg, Ontario) is filed in another jurisdiction (eg, Alberta) that recognizes the first jurisdiction’s authority to make a court order for child, spousal or partner support.

MEP has reciprocal registration agreements with these jurisdictions:

  • all Canadian provinces and territories
  • all American states and territories
  • over 20 other countries

More on this topic

MEP forms

MEP information sheets

MEP Lawyer's Guide

Enforcement programs outside Alberta

Interjurisdictional Support Orders (ISO) Act

In this service

icon-phone 780-422-5555
icon-phone 310-0000 (toll-free in Alberta)
icon-clock 8-11 am, 12-4 pm
Open Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri
- closed Wed mornings and statutory holidays