Maintenance Enforcement Program

How it works

The Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) collects court-ordered child support, spousal and partner support, and enforces as needed.

Family Law Act changes

On December 11, 2018 Alberta amended its Family Law Act which is the law governing child support for the children of unmarried parents and married parents in non-divorce situations. Learn more

MEP case officers

Starting February 26, 2018, MEP clients will have a designated case officer who will be their single point of contact in the program. Learn more

Regular system maintenance

System maintenance for MEP’s automated telephone services and MEP Accounts Online occurs every Sunday morning.  If you are unable to access the system, try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience.


What's important to know

  • payors can choose the frequency of payment to ensure payments are made by the court-ordered due dates when completingthe Authorized Bank Withdrawal form or the Debtor Voluntary Pay Deduction form
  • either the payor or recipient of support can register for MEP (if you live outside of Alberta, register with the enforcement program in your jurisdiction or call us for more information) 
  • MEP can only enforce a Maintenance Order, or a Maintenance Agreement that's filed with the court
  • MEP does not provide legal representation or advice to clients
  • to change the amount payable, contact a lawyer or Family Law Information Centres for help on how to file a court application yourself: Referrals to Resources
  • to keep child support levels in line with income, consider the Child Support Recalculation Program to adjust your court order on an ongoing basis. Recalculations are timed around the anniversary date of your court order, based on your most recent tax return

Recipient of support

The recipient of support – or creditor – is the person who receives child, spousal or partner support payments. As the recipient of support, you must do all of these:

  • get a court order
  • send us any information that can help us get payments from the payor of support
  • respond to any changes in the court order that the payor of support applies for
  • inform us of any changes to your name, address, phone number or banking information that affects direct deposit
  • inform us of any changes in the child’s status (eg, residence, education)
  • inform us of any payments you receive directly from the payor of support

Payor of support

The payor of support – or debtor – is the person who pays child, spousal or partner support. As the payor of support, you must do all of these:

  • make all payments to MEP on time according to the court order
  • inform us of any anticipated payment problems such as late payments
  • inform us of any changes to your address, phone number, employment or banking information
  • inform us of any changes in the child’s status (eg, residence, education)

More on this topic

MEP 2013 Client Survey Results Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

MEP forms

MEP information sheets

MEP Lawyers and Self-Represented Litigants Guide

MEP changes – contact info and arrears


Maintenance Enforcement Act

Maintenance Enforcement Regulation

Family Law Act

Income and Employment Supports Act

Interjurisdictional Support Orders (ISO) Act

      In this service

      icon-phone 310-0000 (toll-free in Alberta)
      icon-clock 8-11 am, 12-4 pm
      Open Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri
      - closed Wed mornings and statutory holidays