Maintenance Enforcement Program

How it works

The Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) collects court-ordered child support, spousal and partner support, and enforces as needed.

Service interruption

MEP’s Automated Telephone Services and MEP Accounts Online may not be available from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm on Wednesday November 14, 2018. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Regular system maintenance

System maintenance for MEP’s automated telephone services and MEP Accounts Online occurs every Sunday morning.  If you are unable to access the system, try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Disruptions to delivery

  • The Government of Alberta continues to process outbound mail until such time that Canada Post is unable to accept new deliveries due to a labour disruption.
  • In the event of a Canada Post service disruption, Albertans can use couriers or email to correspond with the government.
  • Information will be updated regularly.

Submit payments

Call MEP client services for more information about making payments:
780-422-555 (toll-free in Alberta: 310-000)

Pay through your bank or credit union

Are you having trouble opening PDF forms? Fillable forms do not open on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:

  1. Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
  2. Launch Adobe Reader.
  3. Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.

Pay in person

MEP service counter
7th floor, J.E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta

Payments by employers

See Preferred Payment Options for Employers about details for:

  • telephone or internet banking
  • direct deposit for electronic funds transfer
  • electronic data interchange

Employers can also send cheques or money orders to MEP by:

  • courier services

Submit your documents

In order to submit documents to MEP, you must first register an account with MEP.

Once you have registered with MEP, you can submit your documents in any of four ways:


  • Existing clients can submit documents through our secure online account system, MEP Accounts Online. You may also use this site to update your contact information or inquire about your file. If you are a first-time user, please ask a staff member for login help.


  • You may fax your documents to 780-401-7575.

In person

  • You may submit your documents in person at the MEP service counter at:

    7th Floor, J.E. Brownlee Building
    10365 97 Street NW
    Edmonton, AB  T5J 3W7


  • You can mail your documents to:

    Maintenance Enforcement Program
    7th Floor, J.E. Brownlee Building
    10365 97 Street NW
    Edmonton, AB  T5J 3W7

MEP case officers

Starting February 26, 2018, MEP clients will have a designated case officer who will be their single point of contact in the program. Learn more

New Child Support Guideline tables

The Canadian government has updated the tables in the Federal Child Support Guidelines. The new tables come into force on November 22, 2017. The new tables will be used by the courts when granting new orders and when varying existing orders. If your order was granted before that date, the amount owed will not change, unless a new order or Recalculation Decision is received. Learn more

Penalty and service fee increases

An increase to all penalties and service fees charged by the MEP has been approved effective August 1, 2017.

Learn more

What's important to know

  • payors can choose the frequency of payment to ensure payments are made by the court-ordered due dates when completingthe Authorized Bank Withdrawal form or the Debtor Voluntary Pay Deduction form
  • either the payor or recipient of support can register for MEP (if you live outside of Alberta, register with the enforcement program in your jurisdiction or call us for more information) 
  • MEP can only enforce a Maintenance Order, or a Maintenance Agreement that's filed with the court
  • MEP does not provide legal representation or advice to clients
  • to change the amount payable, contact a lawyer or Family Law Information Centres for help on how to file a court application yourself: Referrals to Resources
  • to keep child support levels in line with income, consider the Child Support Recalculation Program to adjust your court order on an ongoing basis. Recalculations are timed around the anniversary date of your court order, based on your most recent tax return

Recipient of support

The recipient of support – or creditor – is the person who receives child, spousal or partner support payments. As the recipient of support, you must do all of these:

  • get a court order
  • send us any information that can help us get payments from the payor of support
  • respond to any changes in the court order that the payor of support applies for
  • inform us of any changes to your name, address, phone number or banking information that affects direct deposit
  • inform us of any changes in the child’s status (eg, residence, education)
  • inform us of any payments you receive directly from the payor of support

Payor of support

The payor of support – or debtor – is the person who pays child, spousal or partner support. As the payor of support, you must do all of these:

  • make all payments to MEP on time according to the court order
  • inform us of any anticipated payment problems such as late payments
  • inform us of any changes to your address, phone number, employment or banking information
  • inform us of any changes in the child’s status (eg, residence, education)

More on this topic

MEP 2013 Client Survey Results Download Adobe Acrobat Reader

MEP forms

MEP information sheets

MEP Lawyers and Self-Represented Litigants Guide

MEP changes – contact info and arrears


Maintenance Enforcement Act

Maintenance Enforcement Regulation

Family Law Act

Income and Employment Supports Act

Interjurisdictional Support Orders (ISO) Act

      In this service

      icon-phone 310-0000 (toll-free in Alberta)
      icon-clock 8-11 am, 12-4 pm
      Open Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri
      - closed Wed mornings and statutory holidays