Enforcement Q&As

Making payments
Payment arrangements
Outstanding payments
Payment penalties

If you don’t know if your fine was transferred to Fines Enforcement Program for collection, you can contact the program to find out.

Making payments

Can someone I designate call Fines Enforcement to inquire about my fine, ticket or bail forfeiture?

Yes, the Fines Enforcement Program can release fine / forfeiture information if they have your written permission on file. Please see the Contact page for information on where to mail or fax your authorization.

How do I get a copy of my fine, ticket or bail forfeiture order?

You can contact the Court jurisdiction where the offense occurred and request a copy from them.

View a listing of court locations

Learn more about court proceedings

I am currently on AISH and / or social assistance. Does this make a difference in terms of paying these fines / tickets or bail forfeitures?

Crown debts for criminal or traffic convictions or no-cash bail forfeitures will not be written off due to financial hardship. However, you should contact Fines Enforcement to discuss your personal financial situation with a collection officer and, if warranted, an installment plan may be worked out.

What is the 'victim fine surcharge' on my fine? Can this debt be cleared through time served in a correctional facility or through community service?

The victim fine surcharge is required by the Criminal Code of Canada. Unless otherwise directed by the courts, this surcharge will automatically be added to all Criminal Code fines. Some surcharges may not be waived if you are serving time in a correctional facility; please contact your sentence administrator to see if it is an option for you.

Victim fine surcharges may be satisfied through community service or other fine option programs; please contact your local office for more information

This money is used to compensate victims of crime and fund other related programs.

Payment arrangements

Can I make installment payments on my fines?

You can call or write to us to propose an installment payment arrangement. If we accept, you will need to honour the arrangement otherwise we may take other steps to collect the debt. Also, even if we agree to an installment payment plan, your motor vehicle registry services will not be reinstated until the fine is paid in full.

Can I make other arrangements in order to have the garnishee lifted?

It is possible to do this, but it depends on a number of factors, including your past cooperation and payment history. Please contact your collection officer.

Outstanding payments

How can I find out how many fines / tickets I have outstanding?

That can be determined by contacting any courthouse in the Province of Alberta and speaking to a representative, or you can also contact the Fines Enforcement office and speak to one of the collection officers.

How can I find out what past due fines / tickets have been registered with the Fines Enforcement Program?

You can contact the Fines Enforcement Program and speak to one of the collections officer to obtain that information.

If I begin making payments, can I get my registry services back now?

No, all overdue fines / tickets have to be paid in full before your registry privileges will be restored.

The person responsible for this overdue fine or forfeiture has passed away. What happens now?

If a civil judgment related to the fine or forfeiture has been registered against any of the deceased person’s property, the executor of the estate of the deceased will need to contact Fines Enforcement to arrange for disposition of the debt.

If there is no judgment registered, Fines Enforcement verifies that the debtor is deceased, and the overdue fine and / or forfeiture will be closed and all collection activity ceased. Fines Enforcement may ask for a death certificate in order to expedite the closure process.

Payment penalties

Is Fines Enforcement a collection agency?

No. Fines Enforcement is part of the Alberta Ministry of Justice and Solicitor General. Its role is to recover monies owed to the Province of Alberta for overdue fines, forfeitures and traffic tickets

This fine or forfeiture is several years old. Why are you still taking collection action against me?

There is no statute of limitations on court-ordered fines and forfeitures, and all of these debts are payable regardless of their age. People who break the law or fail to comply with an order from the Court must be held accountable for their actions.

Why are you garnisheeing my wages and/or bank account?

Wage / bank account garnishees are issued when no satisfactory payment arrangements have been made. It is done when Fines Enforcement has been unable to gain the cooperation of the debtor.